Monday, June 25, 2012

Homemade Gas Cap

Finished up the gas cap last week. It was a fun project and I'm really happy with the result: a good looking cap that's fuctional and one of a kind.

I started in SolidWorks to get my ideas on "paper". The design had to include vent holes to allow the tank to breathe and a seal to prevent gas from spilling onto the tank. Here's what I came up with. 


I ordered some material and got this honkin' piece of aluminum.


After some machining, there was some more machining, then finally she had the basic shape and was ready for threads.


I cut the threads, then flipped the part around and knurled the edge. Then, I started cutting steps in the top to get the curved surface.


After the steps were cut, I took a file and carefully started to file away the ridges until a smooth curve began to appear.


After several passes with the file, then sandpaper, and finally some scotch brite, the top of the cap was done and looking great.


Next, it was time to finish out the business end of the cap. It was also a good time to get my wife on the lathe and teach her about facing operations...she's a natural!


I drilled and tapped the bottom of the cap to accept a filter, and cross drilled a small hole to provide an air passageway. Venting the gas cap allows the tank to breath; keeping it from exploding in the heat, and allowing gas to gravity flow down to the carburetors.



No comments:

Post a Comment