Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Forward Controls

From the start I knew I wanted forward controls on the bobber. Just recently I completed all the levers and linkage to make it happen.

The shifter was fairly simple. I used the stock foot lever, bent it to shape, and drilled a hole to connect the transmission to the forward control.


And here's the finished left side.


The brake side was a little more complicated. The stock bike had a lever mechanism to transfer movement from the front control to the rear drum brake. I lost the mounting point for the lever mechanism when I cut off the rear suspension and hard tailed the bike.

What I did have, though, was the lever mechanism itself and also a bushing that was used for a pivot point for the swingarm.
 


So I took some measurements to begin the design.


The first challenge is that the shaft was too big to fit. Rather than try to enlarge the hole, I chose to turn down the shaft.  


Being able to fit the shaft in the bushing meant I had to cut the lever mechanism in 2, then reassemble once installed. I think the pictures will help explain, but basically it was a lot of patience and a lot of filing.


This is after and hour of filing...the male end is taking shape.


And next was the female end...I started by center punching and drilling holes to reduce the amount of filing I had to do.


Another hour of filing and the female end was taking shape.


The final step was to drill and tap a hole in the male piece to hold everything together.


Patience paid off...the fit was great.


Here's the fully assembled lever mechanism for the rear brake.


Some heating, bending, and drilling of the stock levers in addition to making and mounting the new brake stay finished it off. Forward controls...done!


No comments:

Post a Comment