Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Motorcycle Axle Spacer

So this weekend my wife and I took a trip to Dallas to visit a friend and pick up my new toy: 1963 South Bend 9" Lathe. It was a great trip and got an awesome machine with tons of tooling. Here it is after my entire family helped move it into position.


The first project I had planned was to make some axle spacers for a motorcycle I'm building. After a few measurements the design was complete. Time to start machining. Somewhere in this round stock there are a couple axle spacers...I was going to get them out.


Here are a couple of action shots getting the ID just right. The lathe runs so smooth and is very accurate. It's smaller than what I'm used to, but I'm learning quickly how to run this little workshop lathe. It's powered by a leather belt that did slip a few times under heavy load, but I've read there's an easy fix by replacing it with a automotive serpentine belt...sounds good to me.


A few hours later and the job was done. The parts were in tolerance and had a great finish. Here's the finished product. What a great addition to the garage!




No comments:

Post a Comment