Monday, November 26, 2012

Tuning the Bobber

It's been 3 months since final assembly of the bobber. In my schedule I gave myself  some time to fine tune everything before final paint and powder coat, and I'm sure glad I did. Since August I've done more tuning and motor work that I ever thought; tearing into the top end, going through the ENTIRE charging system one wire at a time, and replacing nearly every gasket, o-ring, and rubber part on the engine. The good news is each change gets me one step closer to a well tuned machine.

The latest change was to replace the aftermarket "pod" air filters with the stock air box. I've learned the hard way these carbs do not operate well with the turbulent air flow pods provide. Unfortunately, the stock air box is massive, and required some cutting of my custom frame to make fit. Here's the air box all hooked up.


Now the only aftermarket piece of the engine is my exhaust. It's a Kerker 4 into 1 header with the muffler removed. I did the "lollipop" trick to try and retain some back pressure. The "lollipop" is a washer welded to a bolt and acts as an orifice plate...here's a picture of it near the end of the exhaust.


The guys at cb750c.com have been a huge help this entire process. Here's a video I shot using the bar camera mount to give them a listen after these changes were made. I tried to open her up as much as I could, but the Houston streets only allow for so much of that, especially with a hardtail...I swear I caught air at least twice on this ride. The bike sounds great and pulls hard, but still not perfect enough for me...hopefully soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment