Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Kodak Playsport Wand

My wife and I have a Kodak Playsport ZX3 and love it. We use it all the time, but recently I wanted to make a special wand mount to for us to use...here's how I did it.

I started with an old golf ball grabber that broke. I knew I kept the extending handle for some reason!


Next, I scribbled down some dimensions on a notepad and then it was over to the lathe for some quick machining.

Then I welded the parts together that would hold the camera, and welded together a handle out of some scrap steel and a 1/4"-20 bolt.


I place a rubber washer between the camera and mounting surface to give the camera a soft surface to tighten against. Here's the first fitment test.


I realized that the top-heaviness of this design may cause the camera to flip upside down, so I added an extra long handle that acts as a counterweight. I also added a retention system just in case the camera comes off the mount.


The Playsport is waterproof, and we use that feature often, so I added some pipe insulation wrap that keeps the wand and camera afloat in water. 


Here it is ready for use! The extension handle will be handy.


And here's a test video I shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment